Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Melville Intermediate - NZAIMS 2011 Here we come!


Melville Intermediate are preparing to compete again at the NZAIMS Tournament.  This tournament is the premiere sports competition for Y7 and Y8 students in New Zealand.  Last year there were over 100 schools and 4,000 competitors, with over 800 officials in Tauranga for the week of competition.  In 2010 Melville Intermediate entered Boys Soccer, where the team came 14th, Hip Hop where our team finished 4th by 0.5 of a percent and Girls Basketball.

Our Basketball teams over the last two years have a proud record of success, last year our Girls made the semi finals before being defeated by Kura O Te Koutu from Rotorua and finishing 4th.  Our 2009 team was undefeated for the entire tournament and crowned national champions at the conclusion of the games! This years team has started preparation by playing at the YMCA on Tuesday night.   The team is in a Boys/Mixed competition and has already defeated Maeroa Intermediate and St Andrews Middle School.   Last week the Girls were defeated 35-45 by the Flyers Lakers, although they were dissapointed to lose they managed to play a forty minute game with five players and no reserves! Today Melville Intermediate played against the KBC Sting and defeated them 43-33.   Kobe managed to score 17 points, in her first game for the year, Mata scored an impressive 16 and Sita contributed well with 10.   The team has three more games in the 'A' pool against top opposition before the play offs.   This footage is from Melville Intermediates game against the Sting tonight, the AIMS Games might be six months away but its approaching fast.


Basketball 2011 from myles webb on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. It´s looking good do you go too more sports in your spare time?? :D
    Lukas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to a sport also.
    I go too soccer and it is very fun. :D
    Lukas

    ReplyDelete
  3. You girls are really good at Basketball. I enjoy playing baskatball but not on a team. People say I am good at baskatball even from my old school. I am good at it, but I just don't like playing against people. When I don't shoot basktballs in gym everyday I start getting worse. But when I do play everyday in gym I get better. I do have a basketball net at my house but we don't have a baskatball or we can't use our net because it is by our shed and there is dirt and rocks. We don't have a place to put it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi girls,
    My name is John Russell Smith and I am a student at The University of South Alabama. I like to play basketball as well. It is a good workout as well as a good hobbie. I like to see youth playin sports. You girls are really good, keep up the good work. If you want to check my blog out, go to: http://SmithJohnedm310.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete