Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Melville Intermediate - Online Tutor

At Melville Intermediate, in Room 8 we had a wonderful moment today. Thanks to AlanahK's Class at Appleby School in Nelson we were able to do some real time interactive learning. We've been admiring there online work when they're teacher said "what about a Skype link up?". We were thrilled and a bit nervous at the same time, never-the-less at 1:30pm today we duly connected. Nick did the honours for Room Eight. Some students were so excited when we saw the faces from AlanahK classroom they couldn't help rushing the screen to wave! We had an excellent experience, one of those motivating lessons for students and teacher and as a result Nick will be producing a Pivot animation which we'll post online in the next few days. If there is anyone else intersted in Skype-ing with us, let us know! A massive wonderful thanks to AlanahK and her class!

5 comments:

  1. We had fun too. It was interesting that Kieran learnt a new way of doing something from George as they were showing you the Pivot. Children teaching children is very powerful.

    Thanks for making the contact.

    Allanah K

    Moturoa Class

    Nelson

    New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great experience! We would love to SKYPE with your class. I think it would be a great opportunity for some of our students to meet the makers of the great work they have been looking at online!

    Mr Lamshed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey room 8. Room 11 from Peachgrove Intermediate will be keen as to skype. May even sing a waiata for you guys. Can we hook up some time next week?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great lesson. Have any of your students followed up with using skype at home? I often wonder how much of what we teach gets used by our students outside the classroom.
    Mr.C

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW you are so lucky to have such great teachers.
    I just learned how to skype. I wish we had computers when I was in school. I had to learn the computer on my own when I was a grandmother.
    My grandson is almost 12 and when he was 2 or 3 is when I got my first computer so we learned how to use it together. He was teaching me things about it by the time he was 6. I'm still learning new things everyday.
    Keep up the great work.
    storiesfromstregga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete